Welcome Baby Louis...

On Friday, July 26th baby’s parents and I headed to the doctor's office for our check up. We did a nonstress test and ultrasound which both looked good. Dr. asked if I wanted him to check my cervix since I was having contractions and back pain the night before as he said it could be back labor. I said yes but was still completely closed. Dr. Said he really didn’t think I would end up dilating at all and then asked me about the baby’s movements. The baby had always been very, very active but I had noticed a little less moving within the last day or two. He told me I should feel 10 within an hour especially after eating. He asked me to monitor more closely and to call him if the movements were not like they had been in previous weeks and said he would send me to the hospital for further monitoring.

We left the appointment and went to a baby consignment shop and Walmart to grab a few more last minute baby items and then I stopped and got my usual drink from Dunkin and some lunch from sonic to see if I could get baby moving more. I tracked his movements and my contractions from 12-4:30 and was getting about 4 movements an hour and had 7 contractions within that time. Mum asked me to call the Dr. at 4:30 since it seemed kind of slow and since we were heading into the weekend. I did so and Dr. said head up to the hospital and we will check things out. We all started scrambling about and getting everything in place just in case. Baby’s parents drove me up to the hospital while Blaise got our kids settled for the night and with his sister and then meet us at the hospital.

At 5:30 we arrived and checked in. We had had some rainy, crummy weather since the parents arrived Wednesday morning, and as soon as we walked into the hospital..."Here comes the sun!" I was hooked up to monitor heartbeat and contractions and was also having some super sharp pains down below and in my cervix. Shortly after that, the radiologist came in to do a special ultrasound and testing to check 4 different things (baby’s movements, baby’s heartbeat, baby’s breathing, and fluid) They give you 2 points for each one and the test must be completed within 30 minutes. We received a 6/8 and Eve was good except the baby did not take a breath within the 30 minutes. This sounded a little scary but nurses did not seem too concerned and said they would probably just repeat the test in a while. They said the official results would be sent to Dr. within the hour. So, we sat and waited, while they continued to measure contractions and movements. As I sat their contractions kept coming. Some were more intense than others and Blaise and Mum were having fun watching the monitor spike to 50, 60, 70, and 71!!! Then we realized that they were happening pretty close and called the nurse who still didn’t seem too concerned. She told me I probably just had a full bladder and to go to the bathroom. I did that and then got hooked back up and 5 minutes later the contractions got even worse. I had 10 that were super high and I was actually grabbing the handrail and breathing through them. Blaise started timing and they were 2 minutes apart and at that point, I said these are real and not supposed to happen, I need an epidural!!! We called the nurse again and she checked the monitor and said she was going to call the Dr. again. 10 minutes later she walked back in and said, “We are going to start prepping you, Dr. is on the way and will be doing your c-section at 9pm!” We all looked at the clock and it was currently 8:30! Mum started crying and I gave her a big hug and said, "don’t be nervous that makes me nervous!! Yay!!! It’s time and the moment you have been waiting for!” We were also excited because it was the 26th and we had talked just the night before about how the 26th would be a very special date because the baby’s big brother was born on 1/26 and they would be exactly 1 1/2 years apart, the grandfather’s, great grandmothers and Blaise’s birthday are all on the 26th AND we did our transfer on 11/26! Baby’s grandmother also guessed it would happen on the 26th and mum’s friend called her that morning asking if it happens because she had a dream that it did! It was just meant to be and that’s how this entire journey has gone. ☺️

Then it got pretty crazy in the little monitoring room that we were in. I came out of the bathroom all changed and the baby’s mom was getting her astronaut attire on. I had a nurse on the right putting in an IV, a nurse on the left taking tons of blood, a nurse at my feet going over consent forms with me, a nurse by my head monitoring the contractions and taking my vitals, and then the Anesthesiologist, my doctor and our photographer all walked in! 🤪

I had to get 2 bags of fluid before heading back to the OR so we sat there for a bit taking it all in and then they asked me to use the restroom and walked me back to the OR. It happens so fast I didn’t even get to say goodbye or see you soon to anyone! The anesthesiologists took me back while the nurses got 2 recovery rooms ready for myself and the baby’s parents. I sat up on the table and a nurse named Jen held my hands and talked me through everything as I was shaking and so nervous. The anesthesiologists and Dr's assistant were awesome and made me laugh several times! I instantly felt the medicine going into my spine and working it’s way up my body. They quickly had me lay down and the feeling got stronger and weirder. They said, I was a pro and took it like a champ. Even though this was my 3rd c-section, you forget those feelings! I loaded there for a long time and could see everything before they finally put a curtain up. Dr. Came in and said, “Jenna you can have 1 more person in the room.” I said, “Blaise!” Baby’s mum was planning to also be in the room. My dr. Looked at me and said, “I got you, trust me! Let baby’s dad come in.” “I asked if he promised to get Blaise if something happens and he said, “yes but nothing bad was going to happen!” So, Blaise watched the big brother and both parents came into the room. Dr. even the photographer stand outside and look through a window to take photos of the entire process! In the end, I was very happy with this and how it all went.

Mum held my hand and we talked to each other while they got started. It was incredible! All of a sudden, “I said he’s coming out and said I heard him cry!” Parents looked in shock and anesthesiologists said, “yup, stand up baby’s here!” They stood up and Louie started screaming!!! I didn’t take my eyes off my parents and watched them cry and hug each other and myself as they just witnessed the most amazing things!!! It truly was awesome. I shouted out and this just made this entire thing worth it!!! Dr. and anesthesiologists both agreed and said, "baby is perfect and Jenna you did amazing!"

The parents went over and saw the baby and cut the cord. I laid there with a huge smile!!! Mum ran back and forth a few times telling me about how cute he was! He screamed for a solid 15 minutes and I was thinking, “man they are going to have their hands full!”

Then all of a sudden it was very quiet. Then I heard them saying something about the baby grunting and breathing. I asked the anesthesiologists if everything was ok and he kept reassuring me it was. Then the baby’s parents came back and sat with me. They said they were just working on him and helping him with his breathing. They believed he wore himself out too fast with all the screaming. They ended up taking Louie to the NICU for a little bit to be observed and have a few tests. Nurses told parents to go back to their room and give them an hour so he could be looked over and I could be put back together.

Baby Louis (Louie) Evan was born at 9:53pm, 6.5 pounds and 18.7 inches!

I made it back to recovery at room and was doing ok but very, very cold. I had about 6 warm blankets on me and a nurse stayed with me in my room for the first hour. This is where I finally got to see Blaise again. We talked for a long time and said it was weird for both of us and not having a baby in the room felt really weird too but at the same time was kind of nice because it was so late and so quiet. Blaise finally crashed around 1am and I waited up to get a report on the baby and know he was out of NICU. Mum was sending me updates and photos and it was kind of funny how fast it went from me giving updates to her now giving them to me. They said they would come to see me if it wasn't too late and I said, "yes, please do, I am going to wait up for you to come by.

Around 2:30 they walked into my room with the sweetest and cutest little guy and I got to hold him for the first time. He was just perfect and did look just like his big brother. I kept saying he was so pretty and had beautiful skin and a cute little nose. They spent a little bit of time in my room and I got to watch them do the baby's footprints there. Around 3pm we all said goodnight.

The next morning and day continued to be amazing. Baby's parents had a room right next to mine and we went back and forth all day visiting each other. We even had a picnic in my room. It filled my heart so much! Even though I knew deep down that I didn't think the parents would completely ignore me after the birth it was still a tiny fear I had in my head but this was NOT the case at all. Our time in the hospital was amazing. Blaise brought Bryce and Emma up to visit and my mom and her friend also came up. Saturday evening MUM and I had such a great conversation and bonding time together as we just sat and watched and help little Louie. I went back to my room to rest and was planning to watch a movie when I got a text with our sneak peek photos. Looking at those made me shed some tears and just after I looked at them I had a knock on my door and big brother, David and his dad came in and brought me flowers.

To see the parent's excitement and watch their happiness unfold during the c-section was something that cannot be put into words. While their lives were changing at that moment, mine was too. We’re all family now, bound together by the love and admiration for a little guy who has no idea the impact he’s made on the world already.
That evening, Louie's grandparents also arrived and I slept so peacefully! I woke up at 5am in a little panic thinking I was in the OR again delivering because I could hear Louie screaming in his room next store. I texted the parents and he was. He only cries when he is being changed and undressed.

Sunday, continued the same way with us bouncing back and forth between each other's rooms. We took lots of photos and almost every time Mum brought Louie into my room he had on a new outfit which I so loved. I also got to feed him a bottle. Louie has been able to breastfeed from his Mum. She was able to take a medication to get her own milk and then also supplement with formula. I am so happy she can do this as I am sure this is such an incredible experience for her. The baby was able to be discharged at 1pm and I was hoping to go soon too. I did not get to leave until 7pm and they really wanted me to stay 1 more night since I was still really bloated but I was ready to get home and shower. We left the hospital and had to find a 24-hour pharmacy to get my prescriptions and then headed home to a house with NO AC upstairs. It was super hot and almost like an attic at 95 degrees. We got downstairs all ready and camped out on the couch for the night. It was not that comfortable and I did not sleep well but have spent most of the day relaxing with my feet up in the air.

Today, I am still doing well. The soreness comes and goes and I am still really bloated but my bleeding is lighter this time than it ever has been which is such a good thing. I'm hoping a few more days of rest and doing nothing will allow me to get up and get moving by the end of the week. I felt a little guilty because my kids only have 2 more weeks of summer and are having to just stay inside and find things to keep them busy.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOY or GIRL?????

36 days or LESS...

Another Week Down...